Please wait

Abbey Church of Dürnstein

  • Stift und Schloss Dürnstein
  • Panorama Dürnstein
  • Stift Dürnstein
  • Das wahre Stift Dürnstein

Dürnstein 1,
3601 Dürnstein

Route Google maps

Stift Dürnstein
+43 2711 375 Compose e-mail Web

Wir sprechen:
  • English
  • German
  • french
  • Stift und Schloss Dürnstein
  • Panorama Dürnstein
  • Stift Dürnstein
  • Das wahre Stift Dürnstein

The history of Dürnstein Abbey starts in 1372 when Elsbeth of Kuenring had a chapel built in her castle. It was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. In 1410 she invited the Augustinian-Canons from Wittingau in Bohemia to take over the pastoral care and thus started Dürnstein Abbey. During the following century the church, the cloister and the monastic building were constructed and enlarged.

300 years after its foundation Hieronymus Übelbacher was elected Provost. He was the mastermind behind the baroque transformation of Dürnstein Abbey. The abbey church, which is also the parish church since 1745, is consecrated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary (celebrated on 15. August). The bell tower of the abbey church dates back to 1733 is the most remarkable building of the complex and, due to its blue-white colour, became the landmark of the Wachau Valley. Emperor Joseph II dissolved many abbeys including Dürnstein Abbey. On the January 7, 1788 it was incorporated into the Abbey of the Augustinian-Canons of Herzogenburg, to which it still belongs today.

In 2019, a new chapter in the diverse history of Dürnstein Abbey starts. With the new exhibition “Discovery of the Precious” we invite you to immerse yourself in the spiritual scheme woven into this building and to contemplate “the good – the beautiful – the true”. Recommended length of visit is one hour. Audio guide in English, French, Italian, Spanish and German available. Guided English tours upon prior request!


  • TOP excursion destination

Opening hours

Opening Times 2019:
1.May to 3.Nov, Monday to Saturday 9:00-18:00 hrs
Every Saturday in Jul, Aug and Sept until 20:00 hrs.
Sunday and Holidays 10:00-18:00 hrs
Last entrance 30 minutes before closing.

23. March 2024 - 27. October 2024


More details

Baby-care room
Toilet facility
Offers for children
Suitable for wheelchairs
Kid's play corner
Suitable for strollers
Regional products available
Wheelchair accessible as per ÖNORM
Wheelchair accessible toilet facility
Suitable for bad weather