The origins of this parish church extend far back into medieval times.
The parish was mentioned for the first time in 1241. It had probably been separated from its mother parish Kirchberg am Wagram shortly before that.
In 1727 a fire devastated much of the town, the tower and roof of the church and the rectory with all outbuildings. The rectory was quickly rebuilt in the same location as the old one. In 1733, Enkevoirt Count of Grafenegg, the lord holding the right of patronage, decided to build a brand new church in the middle of town instead of repair the old one. The basic floor plan was a quadrangle about twice as long as it was wide.