After the church was burned down in a big fire in the 19th c, the citizens of Absdorf rebuilt it.
The origins of the parish and church in Absdorf extend back into the 12th c, when they were mentioned for the first time.
In the 19th c a fire destroyed much of Absdorf, the church included. The church was rebuilt. Although the need for a larger church was obvious, this project was not considered. Several years later the church was torn down and the present church was built.
The devotional statue “Mary with Child” cost 140 gulden. The money was donated in full by the people of Oberabsdorf and Unterabsdorf. Sculptor Ferdinand Stufleser created this work in Tyrol in 1886.