Please wait

Maria Ellend Pilgrimage Church

  • Wallfahrtskirche Maria Ellend

Wienerstraße 10,
2402 Maria Ellend

Calculate route Show on map

Wallfahrtskirche Maria Ellend
+43 2232 80910
Compose e-mail
Web

  • Wallfahrtskirche Maria Ellend

This church is dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary and is the landmark of the community of Maria Ellend.

A chapel was first called Our Loving Lady in Woe in 1466. The current pilgrimage church dedicated to the Mother of God in the Rosary was built by Franz Josef Gabriel of Abensperg and Traun from 1770 to 1772. Pilgrimages began to the devotional painting of the Mother of God: Pilgrimage complex with Stations of the Cross, the Rosary Way, Maria Lourdes Grotto, and Calvary shrine with Poor Souls' Chapel, Guardian Angel and Chapel to Saint Anthony, statue of Christ the King.

In 1909 the Lourdes Grotto was built on the opposite side of the road with a large square in front of it. Surrounded by a 4 ha forested park, the grotto provides ample space for larger celebrations. It also features Stations of the Cross, a Rosary Way and several small chapels. The pilgrimage park is wonderful for meditation, relaxation or a simple walk in the fresh air.

Other sights are the "Mother of God on the Road" mosaic put on the portal facade of the pilgrimage church in 1910 and the mission exhibition. It provides glimpses into the worldwide missionary activity of Holy Family missionaries, who have had their only Austrian branch here at this pilgrimage site since 1929.