This interesting exhibition devoted to local history runs the gamut from mammoth tooth and flint ax to Roman glass vessels and medieval documents. There are hunters' targets painted with various scenes (Schützenscheiben in German). The explanatory texts and illustrations are often entertaining.
This local museum of Traismauer is housed in the Hunger Tower, a place steeped in history. It was once a tower of the Roman cavalry fort, later a fortified tower for defending the town in medieval times and then used for housing and commercial purposes toward the end of the 18th c.
A protestant chapel has been located in the lower story since 1954 and the municipal museum in the story above.
The museum has numerous finds, from mammoth tooth and flint axe to Roman glass vessels and medieval documents. There are even hunters' targets painted with special scenes (Schützenscheiben). The texts and depictions are often entertaining.
At the heart of the complex are the original stage and original figures from the Traismauer nativity play dating to 1810. This old custom remains alive and is put on every year during the Advent season.
The Hunger Tower is on Florianigasse, the part of town where craftsmen once plied their trades, among them wainwrights, rope makers and blacksmiths, coopers and locksmiths. The locksmith house next to the Hunger Tower features a locksmith shop from 1700 preserved in its original state. The forge is still operational and is heated up on special occasions such as the Long Night of the Museums in October.