In the days of Franz Schubert, his friend Josef Derffel had an uncle who was the administrator of this estate. The uncle invited Schubert and his friends to visit for sociable outings in the country lasting several days.
There are records that Franz Schubert stayed here four times from 1820 to 1823, spending leisurely days with his friends playing music, ball games and charades as well as dancing and going on small outings in the area. Since 1986, the castle has had a museum entitled “Schubert and His Circle of Friends” with more than 250 items on exhibit. The Schubertiade music festival has been held here every summer for nearly 30 years.
Schubert memorial and museum
from Easter to October 26th
on Fridays 17:00-19:30h
on Saturdays 14:00-16:00h
on Sundays and public holidays 14:00-17:00h